The DIA is the organisation through which designers work for the future of the design professions in Australia.
The Voice of Professional Design
As Australia’s peak industry body for professional design, the DIA represents Australian design and designers both domestically and internationally.
We exist to help Australia’s professional designers to succeed in business and to enjoy their working lives, while collectively growing Australia’s reputation as a Design Nation. The DIA brings together design practitioners with people and organisations who employ, commission, support and promote designers. As such, our membership includes design practitioners and participants in Australia’s design industry.
Our professional members typically hold (or are studying for) a 3 to 4-year tertiary design qualification. They are experts in design thinking, creative problem solving and innovation. Collectively, our professional members represent a broad gamut of disciplines in both established and emerging fields of design. They include (but are not limited to) spatial designers, communications designers, industrial designers, design educators, systems designers and design managers.
Our other members include individuals and organisations who understand the importance of design to Australia’s cultural identity and economy. They include manufacturers, people who commission and employ designers, and non-design professionals relevant to design practice.
The DIA’s activities are focussed to help members succeed in business and enjoy their working lives, while also growing Australia’s reputation as a Design Nation. Our six pillars are:
- EQUIP designers with skills to enhance their professional lives.
- SUPPORT designers with services and advice throughout their careers.
- CONNECT designers with each other and with clients, customers and business.
- CELEBRATE and promote Australian design excellence.
- INSPIRE people to value design and designers to do their best work.
- ADVOCATE on behalf of designers to government, industry and the community.